Electro-Prep has been committed to providing quality connections for over 30 years. We maintain a broad selection of manufacturing equipment, allowing us to produce wire and cable products for various industries and applications.
One of our core product offerings is multi-conductor cable assemblies. These are available in a variety of materials, gauges, and combinations to suit almost any application. Electro-Prep multi-conductor cable assemblies are high quality and can be used in most electrical and electronic devices and systems, including data transmission systems, military applications, equipment control systems, power distribution networks, and many other applications.
What Are Multi-Conductor Cable Assemblies?
Multi-conductor cables are electrical cables that contain two or more wires (i.e., conductors) inside an outer insulation sheath (i.e., jacket). The individual conductors are insulated and can be laid concentrically through the cable or twisted into pairs, triads, or quads.
Key Design Factors for Multi-Conductor Cable Assemblies
The exact design and construction of a multi-conductor cable can vary widely depending on the needs of the device and application. Some of the key elements to consider when designing or selecting a multi-conductor cable include the conductor material, the jacket material, and the cable size.
The wires in a multi-conductor cable can be made from various metal materials. Some of the most common are:
- Copper — a material valued for its high conductivity
- Annealed copper — the international standard for electrical conductors
- Silver — a highly conductive material that is not practical due to its high cost
- Aluminum — a low-cost conductor material suitable for low-voltage distribution and high-voltage transmission
- Steel — a material with conductivity similar to aluminum or copper
The jacket serves as the outermost layer of the multi-conductor cable assembly. It protects the conductors from the external environment and prevents the risk of current leakage.
The material chosen for the jacket can significantly affect the performance of the assembly, which is why it is important to select it carefully. Some of the most common jacket materials used for multi-conductor cable assemblies are:
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) — a low-cost, flexible, and durable material appropriate for many environments
- Polyethylene (PE) — a less flexible material offering added insulation and weather resistance
- Polyurethane (PUR) — a flexible and abrasion-resistant material popular for coil cord applications due to its high shape memory
- Thermoplastic rubber/elastomer (TPR/TPE) — a flexible and durable material that is a more cost-effective solution than thermosets for low-temperature applications
- Chlorinated polyethylene (CPE) — a lightweight and rigid material with a low coefficient of friction that is suitable for use in harsh environments
- Thermoset polyolefins (CPE/CSPE) — a rugged material that is melt-resistant, heat-resistant, UV-stable, and has excellent memory
The size and gauge of multi-conductor cables can vary greatly depending on the jacket type, jacket thickness, number of conductors, and other factors. U.S. cable gauge is based on the American Wire Gauge (AWG) system, which is a logarithmic stepped standardized system in which the gauge is the sum of each conductor’s cross-sectional area rather than the overall size. Higher gauge numbers are indicative of smaller wire diameters, while lower gauge numbers are indicative of larger wire diameters.
Applications of Multi-Conductor Cable Assemblies
Multi-conductor cable assemblies find application in a variety of devices and systems. Typical uses include audio/video systems, communication systems, data transmission systems, and power transmission systems. While they are widely utilized throughout the communications industry, they also find use in many other industrial and commercial markets, such as the medical and military industries.
Partner With Electro-Prep for Quality Multi-Conductor Cable Assemblies
Do you need high-quality multi-conductor cable assemblies for your electronic device or system? Turn to the wire and cable experts at Electro-Prep!
As an experienced turnkey manufacturer of custom wire harnesses, cable assemblies, box-builds, and electromechanical assemblies, we have what it takes to build an appropriate wire or cable solution for virtually any application. Our team can match your length and tolerance requirements, whether you need a multi-wire conductor cable assembly for an audio system, data transmission system, communication systems, high-voltage transmission system, or something else.
By partnering with us for your wire and cable needs, you benefit from our:
- Extensive industry experience — We’ve provided high-quality connections to customers across a wide range of industries for over three decades.
- Numerous certifications — We maintain a variety of industry certifications and registrations to ensure the quality of our products and processes, such as ISO 9001:2015, IPC/WHMA-A-620, IPC J-STD-001, UL, CSA, and ITAR.
- Commitment to quality — We carefully design, build, and inspect each product we deliver to ensure our customers are fully satisfied with the quality of their wire or cable solution.